Machine to Machine (M2M) refers to technologies that allow both wireless and wired systems to communicate with other devices of the same type. M2M Projects do not require human intervention and provides support for real time control and monitoring. M2M projects provide benefits to business and industry. Particularly M2M ( Machine to Machine) term is used by business executives. Wide range of user is provided in M2M as smart grid, defense, industrial automation,logistics etc. For reducing the device cost, coverage enhancement, device power saving and network control and tuning present in LTE-A utilize M2M communication technology. Spectrum sharing network economy, security and privacy, heterogeneous network architecture, Traffic Reduction and In Network Computation, Routing in cooperative cognitive ad hoc networking, D2D empowered group based operations of MTC devices etc are the other concepts using M2M communication technology.
Types of M2M projects.
Smart Meters: By using cellular networks M2M smart metering system provides M2M smart metering communication abilities. Smart metering M2M systems are as follows
- Flexible smart meter.
- Secure Smart Meter.
- Scalable Smart meter.
GPS navigation system: Navigation, worldwide positioning and timing are the service provided in global positioning system to the users. There is no charge for GPS.
Sensor Networks: Highly distributed networks are sensor networks of light, small, deployed, weight wireless nodes in huge number to monitor the system or environment by physical parameter measurement as pressure, relative humidity and temperature.
Features of M2M technology:
- Server applications.
- Security and firewall via IPSec/VPN or link layer.
- Zero-touch provisioning and remote.
- Manageability using TR-069.
- Self diagnostic and management features.
- Monitoring, statistics, and alarms.
- Back-up and failover functionality.
- Small form factor etc.
Characteristics of M2M projects.
- Two way communication.
- Small and Infrequent data transmission.
- Low cost, energy and processing power.
- MTC nodes are of enormous number.
- Reliable transmission and low latency.
Benefits of M2M projects.
- Financial: New source of revenue is provided by new service based offerings.
- Quality: Advance service quality by shorter response time, improved security level and minimization of failures.
- Environmental: All over business processes are monitored and controlled.
- Decision Making: Gathering data from remote assets near in time supports smarter and better informed decision.
- Data security.
- Manage machines remotely.
- Cost reduction.
- Monitor present conditions.
- Revenue growth.
Applications of M2M Projects.
- Toll payment.
- Fleet management.
- Emission Control.
- Surveillance uses.
- People tracking.
- Health care:
- Facility management
- Building Automation.
- Home automation.
- Campus automation.
- Billing and provisioning of utilities.
Goals of M2M projects.
- Central data storage.
- Documentary proof.
- Improvement of service quality.
- Improvement of business processes.
- Predictive maintenance.
- New product and service offering.
- Reduction of service costs etc.
- Identify critical situations.
- Service improvement.
- Stay connected with your technical devices and systems.
- Automate and optimize process.
- Unlimited Scalability.